11 Tips for Positive Emotional Well-being
We often forget how important it is to look after our emotional well-being…
We all know how important it is to look after our bodies but we often overlook our mental health.
Below is a list of eleven easy tips to help you keep yourself feeling positive, capable and hopeful:
- Eat a balanced diet and drink alcohol in moderation, alcohol is a depressant and will only serve to make things seem worse than they are. Improving your diet can protect against feelings of anxiety and depression as well as give you energy, energy is needed to stay active and to defend against negative thought patterns.
- Sleep has both physical and mental benefits. A lack of sleep can be very detrimental, even dangerous to our health. Sleep deprivation has been used as a form of torture for good reason. Without sleep we are less able to think coherently, to contain and understand our emotions, to focus on important tasks our to maintain healthy relationships.
- Take exercise, the effects of exercise on mood are almost immediate. It doesn’t matter if you are training for a triathlon or taking a brisk walk through town. Exercise is vital, it releases endorphins and is especially effective for combating depression and anxiety.Try to get thirty minutes each day if you can.
- Maintain your friendships. Good friends are hard to come by, stay in touch with your and talk. Tell them how you a re really doing and ask the same of them. The benefit of positive relationships cannot be over-stated.
- Maintain close and intimate relationships, these can greatly affect how we feel – so nurture them and if there is a problem within a relationship don’t be quick to give in try and resolve it.
- Laugh, never underestimate the power of laughing. Like exercise laughing releases chemicals in our bodies which enhance positive moods. Try watching a good comedy instead of a horror movie. And laughing with friends or loved ones is just about as good as it gets.
- Cry… if you are sad, allow yourself to cry. Allow yourself the gift of honestly expressing how you feel. Bottling up tears bottles up emotions and feelings, at some stage these feelings and emotions will find a way out so best to be in control of your emotional well being and regulation.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for for help when you need it. The longer you leave a problem, the worse it will get. This is especially true of men in our society. There is no embarrassment in asking for help, we all need assistance from time to time.
- Make time for you…Make time for your hobbies and interests, if you don’t have any, try to find some. Its so important to have pleasant tasks to set our minds too, not only work or chores. For some it can be difficult to find something they like, but there are infinite things out there to try.
- Don’t focus all your attention on work or your career. For some, their career is very important, but if it becomes the sole focus of your life think of what you would be missing out on.
- Try not to take yourself too seriously. We all learn, make mistakes and look foolish at times. There are times when we need to be serious and times when we should learn to let go.